Nobody likes the feeling of reaching for their wallet only to realize their credit card is missing. If you have a lost American Express card, don’t worry – replacing it is easy. Follow the steps below and you’ll have a new card in no time.
How to Report a lost or stolen American Express Card
If you’re an American Express cardholder, there are a few different ways to report your card as lost or stolen:
• Log in to your account on the American Express website and select “Lost Card” as the reason why the card needs to be replaced.
• Click the “Continue” button in blue, and if prompted, answer your security question.
• After that, check your shipping address and select a shipping option – probably the 1-day free shipping is the best choice. Lastly, click “Submit.”
• You can also report a lost or stolen American Express card by calling customer service at 1-800-528-4800.
What Happens After You Report Your Card as Lost?
Once you’ve reported your lost American Express card, here’s what will happen:
- American Express will no longer allow purchases to be made with the card.
- A new Amex card with a new card number, expiration date, and security code will be sent to you as a replacement for your lost card. You will need to activate the new card in the same way you did with your original card.
- Any charges that were made on your card after you reported it as lost will be credited to your account automatically.
You won’t be held responsible for any fraudulent charges, but you may have to pay any fees associated with those charges.
When can I expect to receive my new card?
Wondering when you can expect to receive your new card? There are multiple delivery options available, so the timing will depend on which one you choose. If you opt for standard mail, your card should arrive within a few days.
But if next-day delivery is more important to you, just select that option at checkout. Either way, you’ll be notified as soon as your card has been shipped so you can keep an eye out for it in the mail.
“Preventing your card from being lost or stolen is as simple as keeping it in a safe place and checking it regularly. You can also report it lost or stolen immediately by calling American Express customer service.”Dhiraj Jha
Will I still be able to use my digital wallet, such as Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Android Pay while I wait for a new card?
No need to worry about not being able to use your digital wallet while you wait for your new card! American Express automatically updates the card information on any digital wallet when you request a replacement card.
In the meantime, you can continue using your device at participating merchants and apps that accept American Express. And once you receive and confirm your new card, just add it to your digital wallet on an eligible device and you’re good to go!
So although dealing with a lost or stolen card can be a pain, at least you don’t have to worry about losing access to all those handy payment methods.
>>Read More: 10 Best Credit Cards For Excellent Credit
What if there are unauthorized transactions on my card?
If you suspect that there has been an unauthorized transaction on your credit card, you should notify your credit card issuer immediately. Your credit card issuer will then investigate the matter and take appropriate action. If it is determined that there has been an unauthorized transaction, you will not be liable for the charges.
How to Prevent Losing Your American Express Card in the First Place
Losing your credit card can be a major inconvenience, not to mention potentially damaging to your financial well-being. So how can you prevent it from happening in the first place?
1. Keep Your Card in a Safe Place
The first step to preventing your american express® from being lost or stolen is to keep it in a safe place. This means keeping it in a wallet or purse that you keep with you at all times.
If you have a wallet or purse that you leave at home, make sure to keep your American Express card in a secure location, such as a locked drawer or safe.
2. Check Your Card Regularly
Another way to prevent your American Express card from being lost or stolen is to check it regularly. This means making sure that the card is still in your wallet or purse and that the information on the card is correct.
You should also make sure to regularly check your credit card statements for any unauthorized charges.
3. Report Your Card Lost or Stolen Immediately
If you do lose your American Express card, it is important to report it lost or stolen immediately card online. You can alos do this by calling American Express customer service at 1-800-528-4800.
Once you have reported your card lost or stolen, American Express will cancel the card and issue you a new one.
4. Protect Your Personal Information
Another way to prevent your amex card from being lost or stolen is to protect your personal information. This means never sharing your credit card number or personal information with anyone.
You should also make sure to shred any documents that contain your credit card number before throwing them away.
So, that’s how you replace a lost american express® card. Let me know in the comments if you have any questions about the process or your specific situation. And be sure to check out some of our other posts for more helpful information on travel and credit cards!
- As a personal finance and credit cards expert, I provide valuable insights and advice on budgeting, saving, investing, and debt management. I am also an expert on credit card rewards programs and help readers make informed decisions about which cards are right for them. My goal is to help people improve their financial literacy and make better financial choices.
- Barclays bank2023.06.03What to Do If You’ve Lost Your JetBlue Credit Card?
- Answers2023.06.03Got a Misprinted JetBlue Credit Card? How Can You Fix It Quickly and Efficiently?
- Answers2023.05.31Does Fortiva Have Pre-Approval?
- Fintech2023.05.22Limited-Time Offer: AmEx Green Card’s Enhanced 60K Points Welcome Bonus and In-Depth Analysis