So you’ve decided to cancel an academy credit card. Maybe you’re carrying too much debt, or you’re trying to save money by cutting down on unnecessary expenses. Whatever the reason, canceling a credit card is not as simple as just stopping payment. If you don’t cancel your credit card correctly, you could end up damaging your credit score or even owing money to the credit card company.
Fortunately, we’re here to help. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through the steps of how to cancel an academy credit card so that you can do it the right way. Just follow along and you’ll be canceling your cards like a pro in no time!
Step 1: Review Your Balances and Rewards Points
Before you cancel your credit card, you’ll want to make sure that you don’t have any outstanding balances or rewards points that you need to use up. If you have a balance, paying it off in full is always the best option. But if you can’t do that, try to at least pay down the balance as much as possible so that it’s manageable.
As for rewards points, many credit card companies will allow you to redeem them even after you cancel the card. So if there are any perks or benefits that you were planning on using your points for, now is the time to do it! Once your account is closed, those points will probably be gone for good.
Step 2: Follow Process to Cancel an Academy Sports + Outdoors Credit Card
There are a few different ways that you can cancel your credit card. The most popular method is to call the customer service number on the back of your card and follow the prompts. But you can also cancel your card by mail.
Below are the instructions on how to cancel an academy credit card by both methods:
How to Cancel an Academy Sports + Outdoors Credit Card by Phone
If you’re a customer of Academy Sports + Outdoors and you’re looking to cancel your credit card by phone, here are step-by-step instructions on how to do so.
- Call customer service at (877) 321-8509 and give them your credit card number to verify that you are who you say you are.
- After that, speak to a customer service representative and tell them you would like to cancel.
- If the representative attempts to keep you as a customer by offering a retention bonus, you can decline and continue with canceling the account.
Once you’ve followed these steps, you’ll have successfully canceled your Academy Sports + Outdoors credit card.
How to Cancel an Academy Sports + Outdoors Credit Card by Mail
To cancel your Academy Sports + Outdoors credit card by mail, follow these steps:
1. Gather your personal information – To cancel your credit card, you will need to provide some personal information. This includes your name, address, and account number. You can find this information on your monthly statement.
2. Write a letter of cancellation – In your letter, include your personal information as well as a request to cancel your credit card. Be sure to sign and date the letter before sending it off.
3. Send the letter – Address your envelope to:
Comenity Capital Bank
P.O. Box 183003
Columbus, OH 43218-3003
Once the letter is sent, you should receive a confirmation from the bank indicating that your account has been canceled.
Step 3: Cut Up Your Card (or Destroy It)
Once your account has been successfully closed, it’s time to destroy your physical credit card so that no one can use it fraudulently. Cutting up the card is usually sufficient, but some people like to shred their cards just to be extra safe. You can also throw away the pieces separately so that no one could put them back together again and figure out your account number.
Step 4: Monitor Your Credit Report Closely
The final step is to keep an eye on your credit report in the months following your cancellation. Sometimes when people cancel cards, their credit score takes a hit because they’ve lost access to revolving credit.
If this happens, don’t panic! Just keep using other forms of credit responsibly and paying all of your bills on time, and your score should rebound in no time.
Canceling a credit card can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. Just remember to cancel any automatic payments that you have set up, follow the proper steps to close your account, and monitor your credit report closely in the months following your cancellation. If you do all of these things, canceling your credit card will be a breeze!
- As a personal finance and credit cards expert, I provide valuable insights and advice on budgeting, saving, investing, and debt management. I am also an expert on credit card rewards programs and help readers make informed decisions about which cards are right for them. My goal is to help people improve their financial literacy and make better financial choices.
- Barclays bank2023.06.03What to Do If You’ve Lost Your JetBlue Credit Card?
- Answers2023.06.03Got a Misprinted JetBlue Credit Card? How Can You Fix It Quickly and Efficiently?
- Answers2023.05.31Does Fortiva Have Pre-Approval?
- Fintech2023.05.22Limited-Time Offer: AmEx Green Card’s Enhanced 60K Points Welcome Bonus and In-Depth Analysis