Citi Bank Reward Credit Card is the Entry level credit card issued by the Citi Bank for a salaried class or having a savings account with Citi Bank. This Credit promises the highest rewards points for Online and physical department and apparel stores shopping. Here is everything, you need to know about this credit card.
- Joining Fees: Nil
- Renewal Fees: Rs.1000+GST
- Add On Card: Nil
- FX Charges: 3.5%
- Annual Interest Rate (APR):2.5% P.M
Citi Bank Reward Credit Card Joining fees is Nil, however there is Renewal/Annual fee of Rs.1,000/. Renewal Fees shall be waived off, if you spends Rs.30,000 or more in the previous year.
- 1500 Rewards points: On the first spend within 30 days of card issuance
- 1000 Rewards points: First spend of Rs. 1,000 within 60 days of card issuance
- 10X Rewards: Online and physical department and apparel stores on every Rs.125 Spends.
- 10X Rewards: All other purchases.
- 1 Rewards Points Value: Rs. 0.35 Ps
- Default Rewards rate: 0.28%
The default rewards rates of Citi Bank Reward Credit Card is very low if you redeem rewards points against statement balance ( cash Credit). However, you can get a higher rewards rate, if you spend Online and physical department and apparel stores.
- 300 bonus points : if you purchase Rs.30,000 or more in a month
- Rewards Points are not available on these Merchant Category Codes (MCC) as allotted by Mastercard® & Visa shall not earn rewards: Transportation & Tolls (4111, 4121, 4131 & 4784), Utilities (4900), Insurance (5960 & 6300), Educational Institutions (8211, 8241, 8244, 8249 & 8299) and Government Institutions (9211, 9222, 9311, 9399, 9402, 9405 & 8220)
- Rewards Points of Citi Bank Rewards Credit card, never expire.
Pros and Cons
- 2.80% rewards on retail spending
- No Joining Fees
- Annul Fees wavier limit is low ( Rs.30,000)
- 0.28% rewards rate on other Category spends.
How to Redeem rewards points to Maximize return
The default rewards rate are very low, however you can maximize the return if you in below options.
|Category||Rewards Rate per Rs.1||Minimum points to redeem|
|Fuel – At Indian Oil|
|In- Store Shopping|
at partner stores
|Online Shopping||Travel sites – 25 |
Other online shopping – 0.30
|Air miles (Air India|
|Cash back||As per catalogue||0|
It is evident from the above table, that Air India or InterMiles gives the highest rewards, the next highest rewards rate would for the statement credit. However, it will also depend on how you convert rewards points into InterMiles. More details can be found here.
TIPS: 1- I would recommend redeeming in Air India miles as it is the most rewarding option.
TIPS: 2- You can instant redemption via SMS, holidays, air miles, cash back and premium merchandise.
Citi Bank Reward Credit Card is a very basic credit card, which does have a good rewards structure. You can only have Good rewards/cashback if do a lot of shoping in department and apparel stores. The Default rewards rate is only 0.28% which very low compared to the recently issued entry-level credit cards such as Axis Bank ACE Credit Card or Flipkart Axis Bank Credit Card. However one of is good features of this credit card the various options of Rewards redemptions.
Is Citi rewards a good credit card?
Yes. This credit is good for Entry level customer. However this card is not good for big spending customers.
What kind of credit score do I need for a Citibank credit card?
In India , you need to have 750 or more Credit Score for Citi Bank Credit eligibility.
How can I apply for a Citi credit card and what is the eligibility?
You can apply for a Citi Credit Card by visiting Citi Online portal or Citi Bank App.