It can be hard to find the best gas credit card if you have bad credit. Many people think that because they have bad credit, they can’t get a good gas credit card. This isn’t true – there are plenty of great gas cards for people with bad credit.
A good gas card will give you peace of mind while you’re rebuilding your credit history. You’ll know that every time you fill up at the pump, you’re making progress in getting your life back on track.
We’ve compiled a list of the best gas credit cards for bad credit in 2022. These cards offer great rewards and benefits, including Cashback on fuel purchases, no annual fees, and low-interest rates.
- Why is it necessary to have the best gas credit card
- What is a gas credit card?
- How do gas cards work?
- Best unsecured gas cards for bad credit
- Best secured gas cards for bad credit
- Top co-branded gas station cards
- What is the most convenient gas card to get approved for
- Which gas credit card is best for you?
- Other methods for saving on gas purchases
- are gas cards worth it?
Why is it necessary to have the best gas credit card?
It’s no secret that gas prices have been on the rise in recent years. What may be less well-known is that this trend shows no signs of stopping any time soon. In fact, according to some estimates, gas prices could reach $5 a gallon by 2025.
Apart from that, gas consumption is still on the rise around the world. The Organization For Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) has said that global oil demand will increase by 1 million barrels per day every year until 2022.
This is why it’s more important than ever to have the best gas credit card. A good gas card will help you save money on fuel purchases and can also help you rebuild your credit history. So if you’re looking for ways to save money at the pump, a good gas credit card is a great place to start.
What is a gas credit card?
A gas credit card is a type of credit card that gives you rewards when you use it to fill up your tank. Typically, these cards offer rewards as a percentage of your spending, just like any other cashback credit card. However, credit cards for bad credit tend to have less lucrative credit card rewards programs and more fees attached.
They can be a great way to save money on gas and help you rebuild your credit history. Best of all, you don’t need good credit to get one.
There are two types of gas credit cards:
Open-loop gas Credit cards:
Gas credit cards are rewards cards that can be used at gas stations and other purchases. Gas cards are generally more useful because you aren’t restricted to the gas stations where you can fill up your tank and because they may be used for all of your purchases, not just gasoline.
Closed-loop gas cards:
Closed-loop gas cards are credit cards that can only be used at certain stores/Brands, such as Shell or Chevron. Many people think that these cards are a good idea because they offer discounts on fuel, but there’s more to it than just the discount.
This is not a standard credit card, and you can’t use this for anything other than buying Shell or Chevron products.
The interest rates on this type of card are also very high, which makes it less desirable for those who carry a balance from month to month. It might be best to compare your options before making any decisions, so you know what you’re getting into!
How do gas cards work?
If you’re looking for a way to save on gas, a gas credit card is a great option. Applying for one is easy – you can do it online – and the requirements vary depending on the type of gas card you’re considering.
Like all other financial products, the finest gas credit cards are designed for people with excellent or good credit. However, if you have bad credit (580 to 669) or no credit (579 or below), you may be able to get a rewards credit card for bad credit or a store-brand gas card.
Advantages of using a gas credit card for bad credit?
- Improve & build your bad credit history: Bad credit is a common problem for many, and it’s important to know that every time you fill up at the pump, you’re making progress in getting your life back on track. Best gas credit cards for bad credit allow you to save money whenever you use them, which can also help boost your credit scores by reducing your overall debt load.
- Save money on gas: Best gas credit cards for bad credit can allow you to save hundreds of dollars per year on fuel. Gas is expected to increase over the next few years, possibly approaching $5 a gallon in 2025, so now is the time to take advantage of these extra savings.
- Easy to Use: Best gas credit cards for bad credit are easy to use, and you can even manage them online. Best of all, you don’t need good credit to qualify – just a steady source of income and an open mind, which is exactly what’s required of people with bad credit.
- Reported to all three three credit bureaus: Best gas credit cards for bad credit are reported to all three of the major consumer reporting companies, which means that your credit utilization rate should look better after you make a few purchases. This can be especially important if you’re working on rebuilding your credit score.
- Easy Approval: Best gas credit cards for bad credit are usually available to those with lower scores, making them a good option for people who have a short or spotty work history. Best of all, these types of cards don’t generally look at the number of existing accounts you have – only your payment habits.
Disadvantages of using a gas credit card for bad credit?
Best gas credit cards for bad credit aren’t for everyone––there are a few more reasons you might want to think twice before applying.
- High Fees: Best gas credit cards for bad credit often charge annual fees and high-interest rates, so if you don’t plan on paying off your balance every month, these types of cards may not be the best choice for you.
- Low Features: Best gas credit often doesn’t offer as many features as other options. While they’re usually designed to help you save on gas, some of the best cards give you access to travel and shopping rewards that can be redeemed for things like gift cards, merchandise or Cashback on your statement Credit.
- Caveats: Best gas credit cards for bad credit generally charge high-interest rates for purchases and balance transfers, and they typically don’t offer a long grace period.
In many cases, Best gas credit cards for bad credit aren’t the best option for people with excellent or good credit, so think carefully before applying if you know your score isn’t in the mid-to-upper 600s.
However, the Best gas credit cards for bad credit can be a good choice if you’re working on repairing your credit history and need an easy way to build up positive payment habits.
Best of all, the Best gas credit cards for bad credit allow you to save money on the fuel that’s essential to most people’s daily lives, which can certainly help with your long-term financial goals.
So if gas credit cards are the right choice for you, apply online to find the Best gas credit card offers that match your needs today.
Let’s check the Credit card that has been placed in Best gas credit cards for bad credit for 2022.
|S.NO||Credit Card Name||Gas/Groceries||Everyday Purchases||Annual Fees|
|1||Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa® for Rebuilding Credit||1%||1%||$75 first year, then $99 annually|
|2||Aspire® Cash Back Reward Card.||3%||1%||No Annual Fees|
|3||Fortiva® Mastercard® Credit Card||3%||1%||$49 – $175 the first year|
|4||Discover it® Secured||2%||1%||No Annual fees|
|5||Bank of America Cash Rewards Secured||3%||1%||No Annual fees|
|6||Surge Secured Mastercard||1%||1%||$69|
|7||Secured Sable ONE Credit Card||1%||1%||No Annual fees|
|8||SunTrust Secured Credit Card with Cash Rewards||2%||1%||$32|
|9||Aeromexico Visa® Secured Card||10% Discount||N/A||$45|
|10||Shell | Fuel Rewards® Card||10% rebate||2%) dining and groceries purchases)|
|11||Valero Credit Card||3%(Approx.)||N/A||No Annual fees|
Best Unsecured Gas Cards For Bad Credit
Here are our Best unsecured gas credit cards for the bad Credit 2022 list.
1. Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa® for Rebuilding Credit.
Earning rewards on eligible gas, grocery, and mobile phone service purchases is easy with the Credit One Bank Unsecured Card. You’ll also receive 1% cash back rewards for gas and groceries as well as your monthly mobile phone, internet, cable, and satellite T.V. services.
And with $0 Fraud Liability, you won’t have to worry about unauthorized charges. Plus, your Experian credit score is available for free online.
This card requires no deposit and can help you build your credit. The Credit One Bank mobile app makes it easy to manage your account on the go.
Let’s check the Features of Credit One Bank® Platinum Visa® for Rebuilding credit.
- 1% Cash Back Rewards On Everyday Purchases.
- Credit Line increases after 6 Months.
- You can Choose Your Payment Due Date.
- You can access Free online Experian credit score
- You are protected against unauthorized charges.
- Go green with paperless documents
- The mobile app makes it easy
You can read the detailed review about this credit here.
2. Aspire® Cash Back Reward Card.
The Aspire Mastercard Credit Card gives 3% cash back for gas, grocery, and utility purchases. You may get 1% cashback on all other purchases as well. You might be granted a credit limit of up to $1,000, and there is no program charge or deposit required. Equifax also offers free access to your Vantage 3.0.
However, you need a Credit union membership to get Aspire Mastercard Credit Card.
Here are some of the features of this credit card.
- Required Credit union membership.
- No annual fee.
- An introductory 0% on balance transfer for the first six months, then a regular fee.
- You will get 500 bonus rewards points after spending $2,000 in the first three months.
- Master Cards Benefits.
- No Annual fees.
- High Credit Limit.
The Aspire Mastercard Credit Card gives you some hard-to-find features if you want to pay down debt, and its modest rewards may make it worth keeping around.
3. Fortiva® Mastercard® Credit Card
The Fortiva Mastercard Credit Card offers a rewards program where cardholders can earn up to 3% cashback on their purchases. This card also allows contactless payments through Mobile Wallet.
In addition, the card issuer will periodically review the credit limit for qualified customers. Another pro of this card is that it doesn’t require a security deposit, and the card issuer offers free access to the Vantage 3.0 score from Equifax.
There are, however, some cons to consider when applying for this card. One is the high fees, even for a subprime credit card. Additionally, the card issuer does not raise credit limits on request.
Here are some of the features of this Best gas credit card for bad credit 2022.
- Fortiva Card has an annual fee of $49 – $175 the first year.
- After the first year, however, the annual fee drops to $0 – $49 from there, but it is followed by a monthly charge of $5 – $12.50.
- Reported to three major credit bureaus each month.
- No Security Deposit is required.
- This credit card’s interest rate and fees are too high.
Best Secured Gas Cards For Bad Credit
There are several secured credit cards available for people with bad credit. A secured credit card is a great way to rebuild your credit score, as it reports to the major credit bureaus.
Secured cards usually have lower fees and interest rates than subprime unsecured cards. And your security deposit is fully refundable.
Secured credit cards also provide greater rewards than ever before, with several even including Cashback for gas purchases. A secured credit card is a smart choice to improve your credit score.
Some Secured credit cards are guaranteed approval and do not require a security deposit. There’s nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Here are the Best Unsecured gas credit cards for bad credit 2022.
4. Discover it® Secured
The Discover it Secured card is a rarity in the subprime and secured credit card worlds. It offers 1% unlimited cash back rewards on all purchases and provides 2% rewards for restaurant and gas station purchases.
There is no annual fee, and using your secured credit card helps build a credit history with the three major credit bureaus. The card also has automatic reviews starting at 7 months to see if you can transition to an unsecured line of credit.
You also get 100% U.S.-based customer service and your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO Credit Score. The Intro Offer is Unlimited Cashback Match – only from Discover.
Discover will match every dollar you earn in cashback rewards throughout your first year. There is no minimum purchase or maximum reward amount, so you’ll receive a dollar-for-dollar return.
Here are the features of this secured credit card.
- There is No Annual Fee.
- 1% unlimited cash back rewards on all purchases.
- The only secured card offers 2% cash back rewards on restaurant and gas station purchases.
- You must pay a refundable security deposit of at least $200.
- Discover is accepted by almost all businesses that take credit cards in the USA.
- Get an alert if your Social Security number is discovered on any of hundreds of Dark Web sites. For free, activate it.
- Free FICO score access each month.
- 10.99% intro purchase APR on Balance Transfers for 6 months.
5. Bank of America Cash Rewards Secured.
The Bank of America® Unlimited Cash Rewards Secured Credit Card is a noteworthy secured card because it offers cardholders a 1.5% unlimited cashback on all purchases.
This is a simple and easy-to-manage rewards structure, and it’s unusual for a secured card. In fact, most secured cards offer no rewards or just a basic cashback program. So, for a secured card to offer potential cashback rewards on par with some average-credit rewards cards is certainly impressive.
Other secured cards may offer you higher rewards, but if you’re looking for a card with a manageable rewards structure and the potential to graduate to an unsecured card with good payment behavior, then the Bank of America® Unlimited Cash Rewards Secured Credit Card may be right for you.
There’s a foreign transaction fee, and the minimum deposit required is at least $300. However, other considerations make this card worthwhile, such as its preferred rewards program and the potential to earn even higher rewards on your spending when minimum balance requirements are met.
Here are the features of this credit card.
- You can earn unlimited 1.5% cashback on all purchases
- Cash rewards don’t expire.
- Establish, increase, or restore your credit score.
- There is no annual fee.
- You may be accepted for an unsecured credit card with good payment history.
- There’s a fee for making a foreign transaction.
- You need to deposit at least $300 as Security Deposit.
- No balance transfer.
6. Surge Secured Mastercard®
The Surge Mastercard Credit Card is an unsecured credit card designed for those with limited or poor credit. The card has a starting credit limit of $300, potentially increasing in as little as six months.
This credit card also offers 1% Cash Back –on every purchase. The card also has an annual fee and reports monthly payments to the three major credit bureaus.
The Surge Mastercard Credit Card can be a helpful tool in building your credit score, as the issuer reports your monthly payments to the three major credit bureaus.
However, the card does not offer any rewards or other perks, so it is not a card that you would want to keep once your credit improves. Additionally, you must have a checking account to be approved for the card.
Here are the features of these credit cards.
- Your credit limit is $300 after you make a refundable deposit of $300.
- For every purchase made using this card, you earn 1% cashback.
- Free access to your Vantage 3.0 Score from Experian (When you sign up for e-statements)
- Reporting to the three major credit bureaus.
- Use your Mastercard at places where it is accepted in the world.
- Mastercard Zero Liability Protection ( According to Mastercard)
- To apply for this credit card, you need to open a checking account.
7. Secured Sable ONE Credit Card
The Secured Sable ONE Credit Card is a great way to start building your U.S. credit history.
With no credit check or U.S. credit history required, this card is perfect for non-U.S. citizens. You’ll earn 2% cashback on everyday purchases at Amazon, Uber, Uber Eats, Whole Foods, Netflix, Spotify, and more! And 1% cashback on everything else.
Plus, there are no foreign transaction fees and no minimum security deposit. Get unsecured in as little as 4 months! And the best part? There’s no annual fee!
Here are the features of the Secured Sable ONE Credit Card.
- 1% cashback on everything purchased.
- No SSN is required for non-US citizens.
- No credit check or U.S. credit history is required.
- You will get $25 when you build your credit score to a 700+ credit score within 12 months of use).
- You can be graduated within 4 months.
- No Annual Fees.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- No minimum security deposit.
- No Credit balance transfer.
7.Capital One Quicksilver Student Cash Rewards Credit Card.
If you’re looking for a cashback card that offers simplicity and low fees, the Capital One Quicksilver Cash rewards card is a good option. With this card, you’ll get 1.5% cashback on every purchase, every day – making it easy to earn rewards without having to worry about bonus categories or spending limits.
Plus, the card comes with several other attractive benefits, including a sign-up bonus, an introductory 0% APR period and no foreign transaction fees. However, if you’re looking to maximize your earnings, several other cards offer a higher flat-rate.
Here are the features of the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card.
- $200 cash bonus after spending $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
- 1.5% cashback on every purchase, every day.
- 0% intro APR 15 months.
- No Annual fees.
- No foreign transaction fees
8. SunTrust Secured Credit Card with Cash Rewards.
This SunTrust card is a great option for people trying to build their credit. The 2% cash back on gas and groceries each year up until $6,000 in combined purchases, as well as unlimited 1% cashback on everything else. However, you need to pay at least $32 as annual fees to get this card.
Here are the features of this credit card.
- You can earn 2% cashback on gas and groceries each year up until $6,000 in combined purchases.
- Unlimited 1% cash back on eligible purchase.
- Free FICO Score will be available in Online Banking.
- Mastercard Cardholder Benefits.
- Zero liability coverage
- Worldwide travel accident insurance
9. Aeromexico Visa® Secured Card
AeroMexico is a fine secured credit card, but it isn’t in the top class of cards today. It has no annual charge, which is good, but it only lasts for a year, and the next step up (AeroMexico Visa® Card) charges an even greater yearly fee of $45. Only AeroMexico consumers should be interested in this.
On renewal, you get a $99 AeroMexico companion ticket. You also get a 10% discount on AeroMexico purchases, free internet banking, automatic bill pay, zero fraud liability, fraud protection, travel & emergency assistance, and travel accident insurance. The minimum security deposit is $300.
Top Co-Branded Gas Station Cards.
Gas station cards are credit cards that can be used at any gas station to purchase fuel. If you have bad credit, your chances of qualifying for a gas station co-branded credit card are low.
Most gas station cards prefer applicants with at least fair Credit (FICO credit score above 58), and good Credit will give you the best chance of being approved. Consider carefully before applying for a gas station card if you have a low credit score, as each application will result in a hard pull.
In this section, we will look at some of the best gas station credit cards available today. Best gas credit card.
10. Shell | Fuel Rewards® Card
The Shell Fuel Rewards Mastercard is a great card for people who spend a lot on gas. The card offers a 10-cents-a-gallon rebate on Shell purchases, on up to 20 gallons per fill-up.
The card also offers respectable rewards for groceries and dining, with 2% Shell rebates on your first $10,000 spending in those categories. Automatic redemption of rebates against qualifying Shell purchases makes it easy to earn rewards without taking any extra steps.
There are some restrictions on the use of rebates, including that they can only be redeemed against Shell purchases and that there are spending limits for non-fuel purchases.
The Shell Fuel Rewards Mastercard is a great card for people who spend a lot on gas.
11. Valero Credit Card.
The Valero Credit Card is a gas card that offers rebates of 4 cents per gallon for those who buy 50 gallons or more each month and 8 cents per gallon for at least 75 gallons.
The card has a high-interest rate and can only be used at Valero-affiliated gas stations, so the rewards program may not be worth it if you don’t usually spend more than $100 on gas each month.
It is available to consumers building their credit and has a high-interest rate.
Here are the features of this credit card.
- A stronger rebate for the heavy gas user.
- Useful for building their credit
- But this credit card has a very high-interest rate
- You can not use this credit card anywhere other than affiliated gas stations.
What Is the Most Convenient Gas Card to Get Approved For?
The Secured Sable ONE Credit Card is a good first credit card for bad credit. This is because it does not require a security deposit, and you can begin to build or rebuild your credit history.
You may also consider Chevron/Texaco Techron Advantage™ Credit Card for a gas rewards credit card. This is also a great credit card option to consider if you want to establish or re-establish your credit, as there is an annual fee.
Which gas credit card is best for you?
When it comes to choosing the best gas credit card, it really depends on your needs and spending habits. If you frequently purchase fuel at Shell stations, the Shell Fuel Rewards Mastercard may be a good option, as it offers a 10-cent-per-gallon rebate on up to 20 gallons per fill-up.
If you’re looking for a card that offers rebates for groceries and dining, the Valero Credit Card may be a better choice, as it gives 4 cents per gallon for those who buy 50 gallons or more each month and 8 cents per gallon for those who buy at least 75 gallons.
But if you have bad credit, it’s probably best to consider a secured card with the lowest fees and interest rate possible, The Secured Sable ONE Credit Card is a good first credit card for bad credit, without a security deposit required and you can begin to build or rebuild your credit history.
Do Gas Cards Build Credit?
The answer to this question is yes – gas cards can help you build your credit history. When you use a gas card and make regular payments on time, creditors show you’re responsible with your money and can be trusted to repay debts.
This will help you establish or rebuild your credit score, which can be helpful when you’re ready to apply for a mortgage, car loan, or another form of financing.
Is it possible to get a gas card that can only be used for gas?
Yes, the Valero Credit Card is a gas card that offers rebates of 4 cents per gallon for those who buy 50 gallons or more each month and 8 cents per gallon for at least 75 gallons.
However, it can only be used at Valero-affiliated gas stations, so the rewards program may not be worth it if you don’t usually spend more than $100 on gas each month.
However, if you want an open-loop card that you can use to purchase anything at any retailer or restaurant, then Discover it® Secured or exxonmobil smart card is the best option for you.
How to Use a Credit Card at the Gas Station?
When you’re filling up your tank, it’s easy to swipe your credit card and go. But did you know there are a few ways to use a credit card at the gas station? Here are a few tips:
- Use your credit card to pay for gas online. This is a great option if you don’t want to carry Cash or if you want to avoid the long lines at the pump.
- Use your credit card to pay for gas in-store. This is the traditional way to pay for gas, and most stations accept major credit cards.
- Use your credit card to get a prepaid gas card. This is a great option if you avoid carrying Cash around, and many prepaid gas cards offer discounts at participating gas stations.
- You will need to enter your billing ZIP code or your four-digit PIN number if you have a chip-and-PIN card.
Other Methods for Saving on Gas Purchases.
There are several ways to reduce your gas costs, whether you have bad credit or not. One way is to use a gas card with rewards.
However, if you have Bad Credit, getting a credit card with gas rewards can be difficult. Another way to save money on gas is to shop around for the best prices at the pump. You can also look for discounts and coupons and fill up when prices are low. Additionally, below are just a few ways to save on gas, so be sure to explore all of your options!
#1. Join a Gas Rewards Program:
Another way to save money on gas is to join a gas rewards program. These programs offer discounts at participating gas stations, so you can save money on each tank of fuel. Furthermore, some grocery stores may provide gas rewards programs or discounted gasoline cards.
#2. Use a Gas Savings App:
It can be tough to remember to bring your gas card with you when you’re filling up or find the right station that accepts your card. Not only is it a hassle to have to search for a gas station that accepts your card, but it can also be expensive to fill up at stations that don’t offer discounts.
Use a gas savings app! These apps make it easy to find the cheapest gas prices near you, so you can save money on each tank of fuel. Plus, many of these apps offer additional discounts and coupons for participating stations. Some of the Examples include GasBuddy and TruNow, so be sure to check them out!
#3. Pump Strategically:
When filling up your tank, you can save money by pumping strategically. Here are a few tips:
- Pump at stations that offer discounts or loyalty programs.
- Pump when prices are low. You can check gas prices online or on your phone using a gas savings app.
- Pump during off-peak hours.
- Pump near the end of the month, when stations may offer discounts to meet their sales goals.
How to use a credit card at Gas Station?
You don’t know how to use your credit card at the gas station. Most people don’t know how to use their credit card at the pump, so they have to go into the store to pay. This can be a hassle if you’re in a hurry or if the lines are long.
Follow these simple steps to use your credit card at the gas station:
1. Enter your billing ZIP code or your four-digit PIN number if you have a chip-and-PIN card.
2. Swipe your credit card or insert it into the chip reader.
3. Choose “credit” rather than “debit.”
4. Pump your fuel!
Are gas cards worth it?
So, if you’re looking for a good gas card, it’s worth checking out the options available to you. Closed-loop cards offer the best rewards, but even open-loop cards can be useful depending on your needs.
And remember, using a credit card for your gas purchases is always a better option than paying with Cash. Just make sure you stay mindful of your spending and pay off your balance in full every month to avoid interest charges and other fees.
Have you found a great gas card that we didn’t mention here? Let us know in the comments!
Here are some FAQs about the Best gas credit cards for bad credit (2022).
What is the easiest gas card to be approved for?
Secured Sable ONE Credit Card is the easiest credit card to be approved for because it is a secured credit card and requires a security deposit. It requires bad credit and poor credit history.
What credit score is needed for the gas card?
For the best chances of being approved for a gas card, you should have a credit score of at least 640. However, a few cards are available to those with lower scores. If you have a credit score of 580 or below, you may want to consider a secured credit card.
What credit score is needed for a Chevron gas card?
A Chevron gas card may be available to those with a credit score of 620 or below.
Is there a credit card that can only be used for gas?
There are a few credit cards that are specifically designed for gas purchases. These cards are closed-loop cards, which can only be used at gas stations. Some of the best options include the Shell Gas Card from Shell and the Sunoco Gas Card. These cards offer great rewards, such as discounts at participating gas stations, so you can save money on each tank of fuel.
Is a Shell gas card easy to get?
Yes, the Shell Gas Card is easy to get because it is a closed-loop card that can only be used at Shell gas stations. This card offers great rewards, such as discounts at participating gas stations, so you can save money on each tank of fuel.
What is the easiest gas card to get with bad credit?
The easiest gas card to get with bad credit is the Secured Sable ONE Credit Card. This card is designed for people with bad credit and poor credit history. It requires a security deposit, but it can help you rebuild your credit history and improve your credit score.
Will a gas card build credit?
A gas card can help you build credit if you use it responsibly. You should always make sure to pay off your balance in full every month to avoid interest charges and other fees. And remember, using a credit card for your gas purchases is always a better option than paying with Cash.
What is the easiest gas credit card to get approved for?
The Secured Sable ONE Credit Card is the easiest gas credit card to get approved. This card is designed for people with bad credit and poor credit history. It requires a security deposit, but it can help you rebuild your credit history and improve your credit score.